Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Oh it rained all weekend? It must have been a Bank Holiday.

Another Bank Holiday come and gone, spent mostly inside looking out the window wondering if the sun would hold long enough for one to pop round the shop and pick up some milk. Except for one notable exception - my first half marathon! Despite Bank Holiday weekends being notorious for having fickle, rainy, and cold weather, The Irishman and I decided it would be the perfect time for me to run my first 13 mile race. Eeps. I survived, obviously, but more importantly I enjoyed it! The course was what Americans term "cross-country" and a Scottish man described as "undulating" - aka, up and down hills that curved through National Trust land full of blooming fields of rapeseed, herds of cows and sheep, and the occasional military testing ground. We ran together and finished in 2 hr 8 min, which is pretty respectable given the terrain. I was a bit disappointed that Stonehenge was actually across the road from the finish line, and that I didn't get to run around it for the final mile, but at that point it didn't really matter as I just wanted to stop.running.immediately.

The race was on Sunday down in Wiltshire, so we headed down to Salisbury on Saturday in some lovely sunny weather to stay with friends who obligingly drove us to the race and back. On the way to Waterloo Station, we stopped in to Somerset House for the Pick Me UP print show and ended up picking up two lovely pieces for a grand total of £24! But post run, we headed back to London and pretty much vegged for the rest of the weekend with a few exceptions for rosé (on my part) with some mates while dodging intermittant rain and an errant hail storms.

And now, it's back to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment