Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Why you should run in London (or any other city)

On Saturday, possibly the hottest day of the year so far, The Irishman and I did a 10 mile training run and nearly died. I whined pretty much every step of the way and only finished because he dragged me along with him. But while we were dashing for the shady bits of the sidewalks on the outer loop of Regents Park, we discovered a row of villas built in the style of various architectural movements from the past. They were designed by architect John Nash and are private residences overlooking the western edge of the park. They're really beautiful and imposing, and it was so exciting to discover them there on a side of the park I'd never seen before.

If you run, or bike, or do anything that gets you from one place to another quickly without a car, bus, or subway, I urge you to get out and do it. Today is going to be 21 deg C in London, a perfectly sunny spring day, and being out and about significantly increases your chances of discovering more reasons why you love where you live.

4 comments:

  1. You would never those Villas are there. They are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! Great blog, btw! Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm a fellow US expat here in London - still fresh off the boat (less than 3 months in). Anyway, I had my first "I live in London" moment running along the Thames near Battersea Park in Chelsea. I just remember thinking to myself that never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be jogging in London. Glad I found your blog! Gives me some inspiration to keep working/tweaking my own!(www.jumpedthepond.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne, I'm so glad you're experiencing the sublime moments of expat life - especially when there are so many of the not-so-wonderful moments as well. Thanks for the link to your blog, good luck with it and enjoy the London summer-shine! x

    ReplyDelete