Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The abovepar programming of the BBC

I've been a bit quiet on the blog as I settle into my new job and prepare all of my imports for my trip home next week. I've also been enjoying the lovely spring weather, and revelling in the fact that the BBC has finally launched their new season of programming. Warning, this post has a high geek factor, so if you didn't think I was a bit nutty before, you will now.

Last night was the first episode of "Filthy Cities," a show about world cities (London, Paris, New York) and their struggles with sewage and filth that led to municipal intervention through sewer systems and garbage men. I was excited all day for this show, because I particularly love the BBC's efforts to turn history and learning into entertainment. There is nothing quite like relaxing after work and watching a presenter attempt to clear six tons of dung from a street outside of a steel and glass center of power in the middle of the City of London.

I'm even more exciting that tonight is the first episode of The Crimson Petal and the White. Not only because I spent about $15 on overdue fees at the Brooklyn Public Library for taking about six months to finish the novel (that weighed about 5 lbs), but because I love period dramas. I know, I know - I'm a big girl. But the BBC hasn't given us a really good one since Little Dorrit so I'm chuffed to bits to get stuck into this one. Only problem – I'm flying to the US two episodes in. I now have to figure out how to get to the last 2 episodes before they disappear from iPlayer.

Here's a clip to whet your appetitie:

No comments:

Post a Comment