Friday, August 12, 2011

And, we're off!

Image courtesy of ThundaFunda
Tonight, The Irishman and I are on a 5:30 train up to the Lake District. We're visiting friends of his who live in Australia at their family's vacation home. I mentioned to a colleague that I was going to Mr Darcy's country (you know, where Elizabeth Bennett visit's Mr Darcy's estate after she realizes she loves him in Pride & Prejudice) but I was gently told that is, in fact, the Peak District. I actually have no idea where I'm going, but it's a 3 hour trip on Virgin Trains to Windermere so my iPad is loaded up with several copies of The New Yorker and episodes of The Killing to keep me entertained.

Given all of the craziness that's been taking place in London and the rest of the UK's urban centres, we're both really glad to be getting out of Dodge, as it were, and escaping to someplace more tranquil. However while we're up there, we are supposed to complete a 12 mile run. Eeps! I'll let you know how it goes, and share some of my own photos (they won't be this beautiful) when we get back Monday evening.

Hope you have a lovely weekend yourself, wherever you are, and if you're in a riot-affected area that you as well get a chance to finally truly relax.

1 comment: