Monday, August 8, 2011

Blitz London

Image via Blitz London's Facebook page - I hope you guys don't mind, I was too overwhelmed to take my own shots!


Saturday was supposed to be my day outside, in the sun, loving the weather and reading my book; I'm currently in the middle of The Shadow of the Wind, which took me a little while to get into but I'm now 100 pages from the end and can't tear myself away. I couldn't wait to take my book and my blanket to the park and bask in the sun and the end of the novel. Instead, Saturday was changeable at best, chilly and cloudy with intermittent bursts of sun and showers. So how did I spend my time? I called up my friend Maya and we met in Brick Lane to make our first visits to East London's newest – and best – vintage temple. 

Blitz London is by far one of the most enjoyable vintage experiences I've ever had. Calling itself a Vintage Department Store and housed in an old warehouse, it boasts spacious rooms, high ceilings, artful displays and QUALITY CLOTHES. Nothing is falling apart, everything is clean and EVERYTHING passes the sniff test. There is nothing worst than having a fabulous vintage find that reeks of old despite many washes. We found Vivienne Westwood, Comme des Garçons, Yoshi Yamamoto, an entire vitrine of 90s Swatch watches (Maya swears they had one she rocked for several years), racks of Converse, and tons of great furniture and home decor. Maya snagged a late 50s silk dress suit with a velvet collar (hello, Joan) and I picked up a brilliant blue mid-century wool blanket probably from the French Navy, with an anchor woven into each corner. I was trying to be good otherwise I'd have probably bought about 25 more things.

Blitz will soon have a coffee shop inside as well, and has an excellent selection of bargain paperbacks. Perfect place to escape the hubbub of Brick Lane for a browse and a brew. I will definitely be taking my next book obsession there - and my credit card. Read more about Blitz here, here, and here.

Blitz
55-59 Hanbury Street, E1 5JP 
020 7377 0730

4 comments:

  1. I love it: "Everything passes the sniff test." I'll have to pay this place a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, it's true. Not stinky vintage. Worth the expected markups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing such a lovely piece on us! It's always great to hear customer feedback! We are thinking of holding an evening just for London fashion and style bloggers. Do you think it's a good idea and would you be interested in coming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Blitz! Yes, I think it's a GREAT idea. As you know there are tons of London style/fashion/vintage bloggers so an evening would be so fun (you know I'm thinking themed, etc). Let me know, I'm so in!

    ReplyDelete