Monday, April 19, 2010

Ash-hole!

Poor Iceland is really getting it on the nose here. The FT is calling it their revenge for the banking crisis and the UK busting them on defaulting, and everyone has a story about someone they know being stuck somewhere (usually fabulous, like my colleague who has been in Barcelona since Thursday and won't be able to get back until THIS FRIDAY!). Everyone's in a tizzy about the economy and the money that is being lost, and businesses suffering, etc etc. But you know what, I think it's pretty great. My passport is with the Home Office at the moment so I can't travel, so I feel a bit of sweet satisfaction that everyone is grounded with me. And I think once in a while it's good to have a reality check. Someone said something to me today about there being a run on fresh fruit because we won't have bananas flown in for a while. You know what? People in the UK didn't have bananas for hundreds of years, and I think they did okay. It sometimes takes volcanoes whose names you can't pronounce erupting for days on end with bad wind directions (read: THINGS YOU CAN'T CONTROL) for people to slow down and chill out.

No comments:

Post a Comment