Sunday, July 20, 2008

This Jersey Girl has met her match.



Every Jersey girl prides herself on her ability to maneuver a shoe sale. Cutting your teeth at Macys, moving up to Lord & Taylor's, culminating with Saks and Bloomie's, by the time you're my age, you're a seasoned pro at spotting the best items, elbowing your fellow shopper out of the way, trying a shoe on by balancing on one foot, and maximizing coupon sales.

London, however, is a whole new ballgame. I went to Selfridges last weekend to try on shoes for Le Dress, and was confronted with the biggest shoe challenge of my life. The Selfridges shoe sale is not just random brands; I had Marc by Marc Jacobs, Vivienne Westwood, and Prada shoes on my feet. It wasn't just Londoners; I was angling for the shoes and grabbing items amongst a host of women of myriad nationalities - there were so many languages being spoken that it made my head spin. Just as a New Jersey department store shoe sale might have haphazard disorganization (size 9s randomly in the 7.5s), this shoe sale had the added water feature of shoe size conversions - I've found that I can fit in anything from a 4 to a 5.5, and if its a European brand, a 37, 38, or 39, depending).

I gamely held my own in the fracas, but left empty-handed; a Jersey girl's golden shoe rule is to never spend more on the shoes than on the dress, and despite a gorgeous pair of Fendi strappy sandals, £150 (on sale) was just a little too much to break the rule for.

1 comment:

  1. You have tiny feet! Glad you ultimately found a great pair of shoes!

    ReplyDelete